What is Telemedicine?
Telemedicine (TM) is a popular, virtual alternative to traditional in-office visits. A live, face-to-face interaction (think FaceTime or Skype) via electronic communication is used to deliver care between a provider and patient.
It provides flexibility for those who have travel challenges/limitations, struggle to fit in doctor visits into their schedule, don’t have a sleep specialist in their area, or prefer to use technology.
Anyone who’d like a new patient or follow-up visit, has an existing appointment, or needs to “meet” with a respiratory therapist.
In order to use TM, you need: an iPhone/Android, laptop, computer, or iPad with working camera; a reliable internet/phone connection; and a private, well-lit location. TM may not be the right platform for everyone, so we’ll ask you a few questions to make sure TM will work for your visit.
A lot! Our providers can:
- diagnose and treat over 80 types of sleep disorders
- write prescriptions for medications, CPAP machines, masks, oral appliances for sleep apnea
- sign job-related and insurance-related documents related to your sleep disorder
- explain your sleep apnea test results to you, review the diagnosis, and recommend treatment
- manage your CPAP machine, analyze data and make any needed changes
TM is covered by most insurances. We’ll verify your insurance coverage for you prior to scheduling you for a TM appointment. However, we recommend you review your insurance plan to understand your coverage.
Once you schedule a TM appointment:
- You’ll receive a link to your appointment, either by text or email. Be sure to check your spam/junk mail.
- Click on the link provided 5 minutes prior to the start of the appointment.
- Be sure to allow any popups (e.g. camera, microphone) that show up on your phone, laptop or tablet.
- Choose a private, well-lit location where you can comfortably hear and speak.
- Have a strong internet connection. Try to use WiFi, since cellular networks will use data.
- If logging on with computer, use Chrome or Firefox.
Please click on your provider's link 5 minutes prior to the start of the appointment.