What Is An MWT?
The maintenance of wakefulness test (MWT) is given throughout the course of a day. It measures how alert you are during the day and if you are able to stay awake for a period of time in a quiet, relaxing environment.
The MWT is used to see if someone with a sleep disorder is responding well to treatment.
What to Expect
When you arrive for your sleep study, your sleep technologist will be at the site to greet you and show you to your room. After you make yourself comfortable, your technologist will take a brief history, explain the study process, and answer any questions you may have prior to applying the sensors. This procedure is completely painless and generally takes about 40 minutes to make sure everything is placed correctly.
First, the technologist will use stickers to affix leads on your chest and abdomen. Next, your head will be marked and measured with a paper ruler and a grease pencil. This is done because each electrode on your head needs to be in a precise location. Once this is complete, a prep solution will be applied to clean the scalp for the electrodes. Lastly, the electrodes are placed on the surface of your scalp with a small amount of paste. The prep, paste, and tape are hypoallergenic.
Once you are fitted with the sensors, you are free to stay in your room where you can relax, catch up on phone calls or read in between testing periods. You may bring your own food/snacks. Lunch is provided; please notify us of any special dietary needs in the morning when you arrive.
Throughout the study, your technologist will monitor your testing remotely, but will be available to ask questions and ensure you’re comfortable. When the study is done, the technologist will remove all the wires and sensors.
Sleep Insights offers a relaxing environment with private, hotel-like rooms, WI-FI and TV. At certain locations, a shower may be available.
At your follow-up appointment, you will receive your sleep study results and discuss them with your provider.
Preparing For Your Sleep Test
Please do the following prior to arriving at Sleep Insights:
- Plan to be at our center from approximately 7:00 am until 5:00 pm for daytime testing
- Wash your hair thoroughly but do not use conditioners or other hair products
- Remove any hair weaves and extensions. We cannot perform testing if you have either of these
- Bring comfortable, loose-fitting, two-piece clothing to relax and possibly sleep in, since we will be placing sensors on your chest. Once the sensors are applied you will be able to move about, use the restroom or get a drink
- Bring–and take–all of your normally scheduled medications unless otherwise directed by your doctor or the staff at Sleep Insights
- Smoking, vaping and the use of alcohol are not permitted in the building or on the premises at any time
- Please notify us of any special accommodations prior to your arrival
Cancellations must be made by at least 12 noon the day before your study, or if your study is on a Saturday or Sunday, by noon on the Friday before. Failure to show up for your scheduled study will result in a $100.00 no-show charge.
If you have any questions please contact us, call our Rochester site (585) 385-6070 or your local site.