What Is An Electroencephalogram (EEG)?
An electroencephalogram (EEG) is a test that measures and records the electrical activity of your brain. It is a painless test used to diagnose seizure disorders, such as epilepsy.
What to Expect
When you arrive for your EEG, your sleep technologist will be at the site to greet you and show you to your room. After you make yourself comfortable, your technologist will take a brief history, explain the study process, and answer any questions you may have prior to applying the sensors. This procedure is completely painless and generally takes about 40 minutes to make sure everything is placed correctly.
First, the technologist will use stickers to affix leads on your chest and abdomen. Next, your head will be marked and measured with a paper ruler and a grease pencil. This is done because each electrode on your head needs to be in a precise location. Once this is complete, a prep solution will be applied to clean the scalp for the electrodes. Lastly, the electrodes are placed on the surface of your scalp with a small amount of paste. The prep, paste, and tape are hypoallergenic.
After all the sensors are applied and checked, the technologist will do a few tests that may include fast, shallow breathing (hyperventilation), as well as strobe light testing (photic stimulation). When these tests are done, you’ll be asked to lie still with your eyes closed and try to fall asleep. Throughout the study, your technologist will monitor your testing remotely, but will be available to ask questions and ensure you’re comfortable.
When the study is done, the technologist will wake you and remove the wires and sensors.
Sleep Insights offers a relaxing environment with private, hotel-like rooms and at certain locations, a shower may be available.
At your follow-up appointment, you will receive your EEG results and discuss them with your provider.
Preparing For Your EEG
Please do the following prior to arriving at Sleep Insights:
- Wash your hair thoroughly but do not use conditioners or other hair products
- Remove any hair weaves or extensions
- If you have acrylic nails, please remove your index finger nail polish for the oxygen reading
- Bring – and take – all of your normally scheduled medications unless otherwise directed by your doctor or the staff at Sleep Insights
- Notify us of any special needs prior to your arrival. If you are supervising a child or older patient who is having a sleep test, we have rooms equipped with an additional bed. Please let us know in advance if you need special accommodations
- Smoking, vaping and the use of alcohol are not permitted in the building or on the premises at any time
Cancellations must be made by at least 12 noon the day before your study, or if your study is on a Saturday or Sunday, by noon on the Friday before. Failure to show up for your scheduled study will result in a $100.00 no-show charge.
If you have any questions please contact us, call our Rochester site (585) 385-6070 or your local site.