What is a PAP NAP?
A PAP NAP study is done to help you get acclimated to PAP therapy and work out any current issues you are having adapting to PAP therapy.
What To Expect
When you arrive for your PAP NAP, your sleep technologist will be at the site to greet you and show you to your room. After you make yourself comfortable, your technologist will take a brief history, explain the testing process and answer any questions you may have.
Next, you will be fitted with a snoring sensor, a pulse oximeter, an expandable chest belt to monitor your breathing, and ECG leads to your chest and abdomen. This process is completely painless and requires less time for setup and fewer sensors than your initial CPAP titration study. Lastly, you will be fitted with a CPAP mask connected to PAP machine. Once the pressure is at a tolerable level you will be asked to try to take a nap in bed while getting used to the mask.
Throughout the study, your technologist will monitor your testing remotely but will be available to ask questions and ensure you’re comfortable.
After the nap is complete, the technologist will remove the sensors and mask, and answer any questions you may have. If you don’t have a follow up appointment with your sleep provider scheduled, you will be asked to make one prior to leaving.
You should expect to be at our sleep lab for about 2 hours.
Preparing For Your PAP NAP
Please observe the following steps to help prepare for your study prior to arriving at Sleep Insights:
- No napping prior to your scheduled procedure: come to Sleep Insights sleep deprived from the previous night
- Arrange a ride to and from center to decrease risk of driving while sleep deprived
- Eat breakfast or lunch before your procedure to help induce sleepiness
- No caffeine day of procedure or night before
- If you have acrylic nails, remove an index fingernail nail polish for the oxygen reading.
- Wear comfortable, loose-fitting, two-piece clothing to relax and possibly sleep in
- Bring–and take–all of your normally scheduled medications unless otherwise directed by your doctor or the staff at Sleep Insights
- Smoking, vaping and the use of alcohol are not permitted in the building or on the premises at any time
- Please notify us of any special accommodations prior to your arrival. Caretakers may stay with advanced notice
- Cancellations must be made by at least 12 noon the day before your study. Failure to show up for your scheduled study will result in a $100.00 no-show charge.
If you have any questions please contact us, call our Rochester site (585) 385-6070 or your local site.